Call for studies - Basic Page
Call for Studies
Moringa oleifera: A Call for Studies Related to Human Malnutrition and Disease Prevention
The leaves of the Moringa tree (Moringa oleifera) are worthy of further study from many angles. Possible subjects include their use as animal fodder, farming practices, discovery of unknown varieties and potential uses not yet considered. This is a call for studies of one narrow, but vitally important, aspect: human malnutrition.
Study of this subject will require:
- Further analyses of the nutritional properties of Moringa leaves.
- Scientific examinations of the claims of Moringa leaves' ability to fight diseases.
A few examples of such studies are listed below.
- Nutritional composition of Moringa leaves in different locations, various growing conditions, etc.
- Recommended preparations and amounts for use as a nutritional supplement
Clinical studies with human subjects to investigate:
- Nutrient bio-availability
- Potential toxic effects (bio-toxicity)
- Positive effects on the immune system in fighting diseases, such as:
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Effects claimed by traditional medicine in regard to diseases, such as:
- High blood pressure
- Antioxidant properties in fighting diseases, such as:
- Heart disease
- Alzheimer's disease
Identification of Moringa varieties:
- Resistant to caterpillars and other pests
- Possessing the greatest bio-available nutritional content
Further reading on Moringa
Trees for Life Journal